Sweetly Raw – BBQ Jackfruit Pizza (Vegan/Gluten Free)
I have a savory recipe for you today. I don't eat pizza often but sometimes I get a hankering for it and when I do, I enjoy making it myself and piling it with lots of toppings!
Recently the craving hit and my BBQ Jackfruit Pizza was born. I made life easy and bought the crusts so that I only had to put the toppings together.
Have you ever had jackfruit?
It's all the rage now and you can easily buy a package of either pulled jackfruit or pieces which has a meaty texture. It doesn't really taste like anything when you buy it in this form so you can season it any way you like. Fresh jackfruit, on the other hand, tastes like juicy fruit gum and I absolutely love it!!! It can be hard to find in stores. I've mostly eaten it while visiting tropical countries. It's wonderful alone and in dessert recipes.
Notes about the pizza:
- I used the unseasoned shredded jackfruit from Edward and Son's. You can use whatever you can find in your local grocery store health food store. A lot of places carry it now.
- I didn't add mushrooms to my pizza but I included them in the recipe because I wish I'd added them!
- The toppings are enough to cover 2-3 pizza crusts depending on the size of them.
- You can use whatever crust you like, gluten free or not.
- You can use any meltable cheese you like OR just stick with the cheddar sauce. I like adding both!
- Add some black olives and green onions if desired as I did.
BBQ Jackfruit Pizza
What you'll need:
2-3 prepared pizza crusts of choice (homemade or store bought)
1 recipe pulled BBQ jackfruit
1 recipe cheddar sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste whisked with 2-3 tbs water
1-2 cups shredded cheese of choice
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 large handfuls spinach
BBQ jackfruit topping
2 teaspoons oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons coconut nectar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 package shredded jackfruit
Sauté the onions in the oil over medium heat until fully cooked. Add the garlic and spices and and sauté for a few more minutes. Add all but the jackfruit and stir it all together in the pan. Now add the jackfruit and stir to combine. All of the liquid should have evaporated otherwise turn the heat up and let it bubble for a few minutes.